Thursday, December 16, 2010

Caramelized Onion & Apple Crostini

My sister Kathryn introduced this recipe to our family a few years ago for Thanksgiving and now I can't imagine a holiday season with out them. Many of you have already had a chance to taste these if you have been at a party with me. I think they taste like apple pie meets french onion soup which are two of the most amazing flavors I know of!! They are easy to make and easy to transport which is why they have become my go-to appetizer. To be honest I have gotten so many compliments on these that people have actually started to request them at get-togethers.

Adapted Slightly from http://www.cookinglight.com/

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons of Olive Oil
1 Large Sweet Vidalia Onion - thinly sliced
2 Gala Apples - peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/3 cup Brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
Whole Wheat Italian baguette cut into about 24 - 1/2 in slices
8oz  hunk of White Cheddar Cheese - cut into 24 slices
Sprinkle of Thyme
 
Prep all of the fruits and vegetables. Warm half of the oil in a large pan over medium heat. As you add the thinly sliced onion break it apart into single pieces, this will allow it to cook evenly. Add the salt & apple cider vinegar. Caramelize the onions stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes until they are golden brown. Add a little bit of water if they begin to burn or stick to the pan.

As the onions are cooking toss the apples in a bowl with the brown sugar and cinnamon. When the onion is done add the rest of the oil to the pan and add the apples. Gently mix them together but be careful not to break the apple slices. Cook for another 10-12 minutes stirring frequently. Do not let the apples get mushy.

While the apples and onions are cooking together you can slice your cheese and bread. Preheat the oven for 400 F. On a baking sheet line the bread up in rows, top each piece with a slice of cheese. When the onions and apples are done you can put the mixture on top of the cheese making sure to get both apples and onions on each crostini. Bake for 8-10 minutes. When they are done, sprinkle with Thyme and serve.
This recipe prepares well in advance and can be put together in stages and reheated if you need. If we are traveling to a party, I usually make the apples & onions the night before the party and then assemble them before we leave the house. If I do this I place the cheese on top of the onions and apples so that everything stays together. Once we get to our party location I heat them up.

Enjoy!! - Nicole

1 comment:

  1. These flavors sound amazing. I think I am going to try these for my holiday meal. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...