Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bacon Pierogie Bake



When I saw this recipe on cookingthisandthat.blogspot.com I knew I had to make it.   We both love pierogies and this made a usual side dish into a meal. All I needed to make was a green salad and we were all set with dinner.  When we have pierogies we usually fry them so baking them was something new.  It took about 25 minutes to make and it was so good as pierogies always are.   The recipe called for the frozen variety but I always buy the homemade fresh ones that are in the deli section.  There are usually many fresh flavors to pick from. We choose potato and sauerkraut but I think next time I would just pick either plain potato or potato and cheese.    


Ingredients:
20 potato or potato and cheese fresh pierogies
3 slices center cut bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 oz. cream cheese, regular or low-fat
3/4 cup chicken broth low sodium
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup thin sliced green onions
2 small plum tomatoes, diced

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.  Arrange pierogies in dish.
Cook bacon in the microwave until crispy.
In saucepan cook garlic.  Add cream cheese, stirring until it melts.  Add broth stirring continuously until its all incorporated.



Pour sauce mixture over pierogies.  Top with cheddar cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes.  Remove from oven, top with tomatoes and bacon and return to oven for 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with green onions.  Serve hot.

Enjoy!   Susan

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked this! I actually JUST saw the fresh pierogies yesterday at the store so I will try those next time on your recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pierogies and I never thought to bake them... delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh those look yummy! I'm not sure I've ever had a pierogie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...