Saturday, May 7, 2011

Bacon and Broccoli Quiche

Happy Mother's Day!!
I've been very blessed to have a wonderful mother and three magnificent grandmas for my entire 29 years, without each and every one of them I do not know who I'd be today. So tomorrow I will be celebrating them. I remember bringing home a small plant for my mom when I was young because every year they'd have a sale in school right before mother's day, making a home made card and giving her a coupon book to cash in to me for various chores. I look forward to the day when my own child will bring me those small tokens of love!!
This recipe is perfect if you are making your wife breakfast in bed with the kids or if you are inviting your own mom or grandma over for Brunch!! I cheated by using refrigerated pie crust but you can make one from scratch if you have enough time and energy.

Adapted from http://www.tasteofhome.com/
Ingredients:
1 Sheet Refrigerated Pie Crust
2 Cups Monterey Jack Shredded Cheese
12 Strips of Bacon - Cooked and Crumbled
3 Cups Broccoli - Chopped
1/2 Cup Onion - Diced
3 Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Skim Milk
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Butter - Melted
2 Tbsp Flour
1 Tsp Salt
Pam Cooking Spray
Start by preheating the oven to 350 F. Spray a 9 inch pie plate with Pam Spray and gently lie the pie crust on top. Carefully push the dough down into the middle of the pan pressing it into the creases and up on top to the edges. Set aside.
Melt the butter in the microwave on a low power setting for 30 seconds. Whisk together the flour, mayonnaise, butter, salt and eggs in a large bowl. I cook my bacon in a microwave safe dish using paper towels, so if you going to do it that way start heating it up now because it took about 8-10 minutes for all 12 pieces to be crunchy.
Stir the milk into the egg mixture, then add the broccoli and onion. Mix well to combine. At this point I realized I had chosen a bowl that was way to small so I transferred everything into a bigger bowl. Add the shredded cheese and finally the crumbled bacon. Give it a few good stirs so everything is coated with the egg/milk mixture.
Pour the entire bowl into the pie crust. Carefully place it in the oven and bake for 55-60 minutes or until the crust is brown and the quiche has set, a knife inserted into the middle should come out clean. Let the quiche stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.

Enjoy!! - Nicole

Linked at: http://www.gooseberrypatch.typepad.com/blog/, http://eatathomecooks.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...