Saturday, November 19, 2011

Traditional Corn Bread


Thanksgiving is by far my favorite holiday. I can't believe it's less than a week away, this year has really flown by. The obvious reason why I love Thanksgiving would be the abundance of delicious food. But I think one of the main reasons why I love Thanksgiving is I can enjoy being with my friends and family without the stress of buying and wrapping presents. For years our family ate two dinners on Thanksgiving and there were even a few years I ate at three different houses. So in 29 years I've had my share of turkey and almost every side dish imaginable. My all time favorites would have to be my mom's sweet potato casserole, the dutch apple pie my uncle brings from Pennsylvania and my grandma's mashed potato. Every family has their own set of must have side dishes to accompany their traditional roasted turkey. This corn bread would be a great addition to any Thanksgiving day table.

Ingredients:
1 Cup Indian Head Yellow Corn Meal
1 Cup Sifted Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
3 Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
2/3 Cup Skim Milk
2 Egg Beaten
Begin by preheating your oven to 400 F. Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish with a leftover butter wrapper, make sure to get in the edges and corners. In a large bowl combine the corn meal, flour, sugar, baking power and salt. In a medium sized bowl combine the milk, oil and the beaten eggs.
Pour the mixed wet ingredients into the bowl with the mixed dry ingredients. Using a few swift strokes combine the two sets of ingredients together until smooth. Pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until it is golden brown on top and begins to crack. Let sit 5 minutes to cool before slicing into squares.
Enjoy!! - Nicole

This has been linked to www.cupcakeapothecary.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...