Thursday, March 29, 2012

Reuben Rolls


 If you can enjoy a Reuben sandwich any time of the year I see no good reason why you can't enjoy a Reuben roll?? Right?? I know I'm about 2 weeks late and I probably should've posted these closer to St. Patrick's day but I can't bear the thought of having to wait an entire year to share these with you. They were just way too good to keep all to myself. Think of an egg roll but filled with corned beef, sauerkraut and Swiss cheese. The thought of them alone makes my mouth start to water!! I only made a half batch the night John and I tried these and immediately I was cursing myself for not making more. I will definitely be bringing these with me to my next party or BBQ.


Makes 16 rolls

Ingredients:
1/2lb or 4 oz Corned Beef
1/4lb or 2 oz Swiss Cheese
8 egg roll wrappers
3 Tbsp Oil
1 Large Onion - Thinly Sliced
1 Cup Boar's Head Sauerkraut
S&P
2 Tbsp Water
Thousand Island Dressing for Dipping

Start by slicing up the onion and preheating the oven to 400 F. In a large saucepan heat 1 Tbsp of oil over medium heat. Cook the onion for 5 minutes until opaque.  Squeeze the liquid out of the sauerkraut and add it to the pan. Cook another 3-4 minutes. S& P the filling to taste. Place in a bowl and set aside.
Take out your egg roll wrappers a few at a time and place them on a cutting board or baking sheet to assemble them. Rip your corned beef into smaller pieces and your cheese slices in half. Place a couple of corned beef pieces in the middle. Followed by half of a cheese slice and then a heaping spoonful of the sauerkraut and onion filling. Make sure everything stays in the middle and don't over fill or they won't stay closed well.
Put a few Tbsp of water in a dish and using a small brush rub a small amount of water around the edge of the egg roll wrapper. Fold the top flap into the middle covering most of your filling.
Next fold in both of your sides to the middle. Making what looks to be an open envelope. If you feel the wrapper isn't sticking well to it's self use a tiny bit more water. Finish by folding in the bottom flap to make a completely closed pouch.
Christina fries her rolls in oil but I couldn't bring myself to completely fry these. Instead I browned them quickly on both sides and then finished cooking them in the oven. This makes them at least a little bit healthier to me. So in your largest frying pan heat the remaining oil over high heat. Make sure its hot before you put the rolls in. Fling a little bit of water at the pan, if it crackles you're ready. Place the rolls down on the closed flap side first. Have your spatula and tongs ready.
After about a minute and 30 seconds your egg roll wrapper will be brown and crispy. Carefully flip them over to the other side. Allow them to fry on that side for about a minute and a half as well. Using your tongs and spatula take the brown and crispy rolls from the frying pan and place them on the baking sheet. Bake for 8 minutes until the cheese has melted and the corned beef is warmed. You will smell the delicious Reuben combination when they are ready. Let them cool for a minute and then slice them in half. Serve immediately with Thousand Island Dressing!!


Enjoy!! - Nicole

4 comments:

  1. We just love anything Ruben, and these Ruben Rolls look delicious. We would just love them. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy! Thanks for joining us for "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." Come and join us again next week! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicole, I had to come over and see your recipe as I saw it on another linky party site and it got me salivating! i would really love to try these out but do you know of another name or substitute for the egg roll wrappers? I wonder if they are the same as what you would use for wonton pastries? i live in Holland and I can't say I have seen them before. Really want to make them though!
    Mary from Lovefoodies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would give the wonton pastries a try I bet they will turn our similar.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...