Monday, July 22, 2013

Summer Veggie Slaw


This Summer Veggie slaw is the perfect light side dish for any summer meal. It can also be used on top of a burger or sandwich. It's another great way to use a bunch of different summer veggies that doesn't require any form of cooking. The pine nuts also add a little bit of a crunchy texture next to the soft and tasty vegetables.

Ingredients for Slaw:
3 Medium Size Zucchini
3 Medium Size Squash
2 Large Red Peppers
6 Large Carrots
1 Cup Pine Nuts

Adapted from http://www.prouditaliancook.com/

Ingredients for Lemon Basil Vinaigrette:
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp Minced Basil
2 Tbsp Vinegar
2 Minced Garlic Cloves
2 Tsp Sugar
2 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Pepper

Adapted from http://pinterest.com/

In a large bowl using a julienne peeler prepare all of the vegetables. I had never used a julienne peeler before and it took me a few minutes to get going but once I figured it out I was flying through each vegetable. So the slaw isn't long and spaghetti like cut the vegetables in half before slicing. The peeler worked better on vegetables that were hard so I ended up just cutting the pepper into match stick pieces because it was too soft. Also when peeling the zucchini and squash I discarded the middle sections that contained the seeds
In a small bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette. When all of your vegetables are julienne, pour the vinaigrette on top and toss everything together using salad or regular tongs. Add the pine nuts right before you serve and toss again. Although I served this the same day I felt that the longer the vegetables soaked in the vinaigrette the more flavors they took on so I suggest preparing it the day before or at least a few hours in advance.
Enjoy!!

4 comments:

  1. I just got a veggie peeler that juliennes and am so excited to give this slaw a try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinning to my Easy to be green board It's pretty and colorful and lemon basil dressing just kicks it up another nothc! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my first summer with a julienne peeler and I LOVE IT!!! And your plates are so pretty. :-)
    Visiting from Mix It Up Monday!
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicole,
    We have so many wonderful veggies coming from our garden right now this is a great recipe for us to try. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope you have a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...