Friday, January 14, 2011

Cashew Crusted Cod with Orange Butter Sauce

When browsing other food blogs and recipe websites for seafood dishes, I came to realize that there are very few out there. It seems people don't eat fish as much as they should. I even remember hearing one time from the Food Network that when they feature seafood on the cover of their magazine, the sales for that month decrease. I wonder why this is, since fish is an easy alternative that is healthy and can be prepared in so many different ways. I love this dish now more than ever because it is very similar to what I ate on my wedding night back in September.

Adapted from Every Day with Rachael Ray Magazine

3/4 cup Orange Juice - 50% less Sugar & No Pulp
1/4 cup White Wine
1 Small Shallot - finely diced
1 Stick of Margarine - Cut into 8 separate Tbsp
1 Cup No Salt Cashew Pieces
1/3 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
2 Eggs
1 lb Alaskan Cod - Cut into 4 or 5 fillets
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
S&P to taste
This is a two part recipe because you will have to make the sauce simoutasinoly as you are preparing the fish, this way they both will be done around the same time. Take out a medium sized sauce pan and pour in the OJ and wine. Finely dice your shallot and toss it in with the liquid. Over medium heat cook the sauce for 10 to 12 minutes stirring occasionally as it begins to reduce. While this is cooking you can begin to prepare the fish.
Cut your fish into 4-5 fillets, pat them dry and season them on both sides with S & P. Next crack the eggs and beat them lightly in a shallow dish.
Take the cashews and put them in a food processor on the pulse setting for about 30 seconds or until they turn into chunky crumbles. Mix the panko breadcrumbs in with the cashews in separate shallow dish. Take each fish fillet and place it in the egg wash and then into the breading mixture, making sure to coat all sides and shake off the excess. In a frying pan heat up 2 Tbsp of the margarine along with the vegetable oil. When the margarine has melted you can begin putting in the coated fish fillets.
By now the sauce should have reduced. Begin adding 1 Tbsp of Margarine at a time, wisking it into the sauce as it melts. When you have wisked all 6 Tbsp into the sauce take, turn off the heat.
When the fish is frying it will need about 8-10 minutes. Be sure to let the coating start to brown and crisp leaving it on each side for about 4-5 minutes. Make sure you only flip the fish once this keeps it from falling apart. Drizzle the Orange Butter Sauce over the finished fillets and serve. 
Enjoy!! - Nicole

Cod on Foodista

2 comments:

  1. That looks so delicious.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this cod widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for cod,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll be the first to admit that I don't eat as much fish as I should (but I take my fish oil supplements!). For me it is because I did not grow up eating fish, and therefore I'm kind of intimidated about cooking it. But yours looks delicious, especially with the orange butter sauce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...