Friday, July 15, 2011

Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon

I'mmmm BACK! Yes I haven't blogged for a very long time but I have a very good reason-I GOT MARRIED! I revolved my life around wedding planning and my husband would definitely agree. For the last 6 months I haven't cooked anything blog worthy, most of the time we would just throw together something to eat with what we had in the house- but now that has come and gone and its BBQ season, my favorite! When I saw this recipe I knew I needed to try it. Salmon is one of my favorite fishes and I never even thought about putting barbecue sauce on it and it just so happens that blueberries were on sale at the food store-so I decided to try it.

Adapted from How Sweet It Is

4 6-oz salmon filet's
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Olive oil

Sauce:
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/3 cup ketchup
1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 Tbs grated onion
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp of red pepper flakes


In a sauce pan on low-medium heat, add blueberries and cook until they begin to soften and burst about 10 minutes. After they have cooked for a bit use the back of a wooden spoon and mash them.  


Add ketchup, both vinegars, brown sugar, garlic, onion, mustard, Worcestershire sauce and red pepper flakes. Whisk until well combined, then increase heat to medium. Continue stirring often, once sauce begins to bubble lower heat, cook for another 15-20 minutes until the sauce has thickened.

Meanwhile pat dry the salmon and season with salt and pepper.


Prepare grill at its highest setting. Take olive oil and grease the grates on the grill- you can do this 2 ways: tongs and a paper towel or how we did it - a basting brush. Lay salmon on the grill flesh side down. Cook for about 5 minutes, then flip carefully.


Brush salmon with half the BBQ sauce then cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until it looks done. Our salmon cooked very fast-so keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn. Remove from grill, brush with remaining sauce and serve.


ENJOY!!!!! Kelly

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...