Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Muesli


Breakfast is my favorite meal. That is if I'm eating it out at a restaurant. I'm always bored with my breakfast options that I can whip up before work. There are only so many English muffins with peanut butter, Greek yogurt with granola, and eggs I can eat. In the winter I can add oatmeal to that mix. But still I feel like I need to find more breakfast ideas that I can make. So when I was vacationing in the Cayman Islands I came across this new breakfast option. It was at the breakfast buffet in small little cups. So of course I started googling muesli and found a recipe that sounded exactly like what we had eaten. It's kind of like oatmeal but isn't warmed it's kept cold in the refrigerator. 



Ingredients: 

1 1/4 cups Muesli (Bob's Red Mill) 
2/3 cup reduced-fat milk (I used Soy)
2/3 cup vanilla low-fat yogurt
1/4 cup fresh orange juice (can be left out)
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cups chopped green apples

adapted from Bon Appetit and the Ritz Carlton Cayman Island 7 Restaurant 



Mix first three ingredients together. Then add orange juice if desired. The first time I made it with and the 2nd time I left it out. Depends on how much citrus flavor you want in the cereal. I like it without or with a splash or two.  Then mix in the honey. Let sit overnight in the refrigerator. In the morning add the chopped apples pieces and let sit another 30 or minutes. Spoon into a bowel and top with another fruit if desired. I chose banana slices. Can keep left overs for a few days in the refrigerator. 



Enjoy Kathryn! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...