Thursday, June 12, 2014

Carrot Slaw with Citrus Vinaigrette

 
I lack creativity when it comes to making side dishes, always concentrating on the main menu item and serving it with one of my usual starch or rice dishes. This carrot slaw came out of no where and I'm sure glad I stumbled upon it. I served it alongside a sandwich filled with my favorite avocado based chicken salad. This carrot slaw turned out to be light and summery just like our entree. The carrots are crisp, the craisins sweet, the pecans crunchy and the vinaigrette is bright. This slaw could also work well as a salad for a BBQ picnic you would just have to double or triple the recipe.

Ingredients for Slaw:
1/2 lb Carrots - Shredded
2/3 Cup Craisins
1/2 Cup Chopped Pecans or Walnuts

Ingredients for Citrus Vinaigrette:
3 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 Tbsp Honey
3 Tbsp Orange Juice
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Lemon Zest
1/8 Tsp Pepper
1/4 Tsp Salt

Garnish with a few Tbsp of fresh chives

Adapted from: http://www.onceuponachef.com/


In a medium sized bowl whisk together the ingredients for the citrus vinaigrette (Olive oil, honey, orange juice, lemon juice, lemon zest, slat & pepper)
I had a bag of baby carrots that needed to be used so I tossed them in my food processor using the shredding tool. You can also buy carrots that are shredded.or full size carrots to peel and shred yourself. Add your carrots, craisins and pecans to the bowl with the vinaigrette.
Mix everything together well so that the vinaigrette has dressed all of the slaw. Allow to sit in the fridge for a few hours so the vinaigrette has some time to soak into the carrots and craisins. Top with some fresh chives and serve immediately as a side with your favorite summer sandwich or at your next BBQ.
Enjoy!!


Linked at: http://www.thecountrycook.net/

3 comments:

  1. What a yummy little salad! I need to try this as a side dish!!! Pinning.... :)
    x Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful.. I love carrots so am sure to like this recipe. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope that you will join us again this week for our special 100th party.
    Marlys (This and That)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never had carrot slaw before but it looks incredible! Pinned. Thank you for being a part of our party. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm.. It is always a pleasure to have you! http://loulougirls.blogspot.com/
    Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...